THE ANXIETY SCALE
1. "Butterflies", a queasy feeling in stomach, trembling,
2. Cold or clammy palms, hot flashes and warm all over, profuse sweating.
3. Very rapid, strong, racing, pounding or irregular heartbeat, tremors,
muscle tension and aches, fatigue.
DECREASED FUNCTIONAL ABILITY
4. Jelly legs, wobbly, weak in knees, unsteady feelings, shakiness.
5. Immediate, desperate and urgent need to escape, avoid or hide.
6. Lump in the throat, dry mouth, choking, muscle tension.
7. Hyperventilation, tightness in the chest, shortness of breath, a smothering
VERY LIMITED OR COMPLETELY NON-FUNCTIONAL
8. Feelings of impending doom or death, high pulse rate, difficulty
breathing, palpitations of the heart.
9. Dizziness, visual distortion, faintness, headache, nausea, numbness,
tingling in hands, feet or other body parts, diarrhea, frequent urination.
10. COMPLETE PANIC, non-functional, disoriented, detached, feelings of
unreality, paralyzed, fear of dying, going crazy, or losing control.
- The Twelve Steps of Phobics Anonymous
by Marilyn Gellis and Rosemary Muat